Oklahoma slaying suspect Michael Dale Vance killed in shootout with police following week-long manhunt


Michael Dale Vance, 38, was killed in a shootout with Oklahoma authorities following a week-long manhunt.

Wanted murder suspect Michael Dale Vance was fatally shot following a week-long manhunt that ended late Sunday after police said he wounded another Oklahoma cop.

“The manhunt is over,” wrote Ellis County Sheriff Shane Booth in a Facebook post. “Unfortunately one officer was shot and he is one of my best friends.”

The 38-year-old from Chandler opened fire on Dewey County Sheriff Clay Sander after the law man unknowingly stopped Vance along a rural and dark highway. He did not realize the driver dragging a chain behind his vehicle was wanted by local and federal authorities.

He was fatally shot 30 minutes later by an Oklahoma state trooper near Leedey.

Vance was accused of shooting two police officers and nearly decapitating two relatives found dead during last week’s violence.

“He’s going to be fine,” Booth told the Daily News of Sander, his friend and former college roommate at Northwestern Oklahoma State University.

The suspect fled the shooting but was caught in the web of at least 100 police officers combing at least 15 miles for a suspicious camper that matched Vance’s description.

“It just looks like he was hiding out by a creek and set himself up a campsite,” Booth said.

A farmer stumbled upon Vance near his property, according to KOCO-TV, also not realizing he was the man at the center of a statewide manhunt, and “scared him off.”

Dewey County Sheriff Clay Sander, pictured, was shot in the left arm and shoulder while confronting Michael Dale Vance late Sunday.

“It was a shock to them,” Booth added.

Police also found bloody rags at the makeshift campsite, the Tulsa television station reported.

Days into the manhunt with no sign of the runaway killer, investigators initially believed Vance may have died from an infection. He suffered at least one gunshot wound to the torso during an Oct. 23 gun battle that wounded two Wellston police officers.

"He fell to the ground again, laid there for a few minutes, got back up. The firefight was on again," recalled Wellston Officer Jim Hampton, who was shot in the foot during the mayhem.

Michael Dale Vance’s uncle and aunt, Robert and Valeri Wilkson, were found dead inside their Oklahoma mobile home on Oct. 23.

Vance’s slain aunt and uncle, Robert and Valeri Wilkson, were found nearly decapitated hours later inside their mobile home in Luther.

Oklahoma County Sheriff John Wellston described the attacks as a “rage killing.”

A vehicle that matched the description of a gray Mitsubishi Eclipse stolen during a carjacking in Sayre was also spotted at the campsite but it was gone by the time authorities arrived.

Vance, who was wanted on murder charges, pledged to kill again with a hit list shared in a disturbing Facebook video while on the run.

The potential targets were connected to a sexual assault case where Vance was accused of molesting a 15-year-old girl.

With News Wire Services